Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Top 15 Best Sports Movies

#15 Tin Cup
One of three movies in my Top 15 with Costner. The dude could definitely make a sports movie. His role as Roy McAvoy almost rivals his work as Crash Davis in Bull Durham, almost. I would easily have put this movie top ten or higher if it weren't for two things. One, Rene Russo. I hate Rene Russo. I truly believe that she is worthless. Just worthless. Two, Don Johnson. My problem isn't Johnson, because he pulled off the Phil Mickelson-like dousche bag character perfectly. My problem is his choice of caddy. If he's gonna quit the Miami police force, give up the Ferrari and become a professional golfer, why not throw your boy Tubbs a bone for God's sake? Ricardo could fly a plane, look cool in shiny suits and mack the ladies like it was nobodies business. You couldn't use that kinda cat with you on the tour? Come on Sonny! You're screwing the team up man! Fine, you don't wanna deal with the undercover narcotics game anymore. Fine. Pussy. But, at least hook your boy up, let him haul your bag around the track, and for the love of God...stop singing "Heartbeat"!!!









#14 Remember the Titans

Just a nice inspirational movie about bringing people of all colors together. Throw in realistic looking football and Denzel Washington and you're doin' alright.








#13 Miracle

This movie is the biggest shocker for me. I loved it. The hockey looked great, the story was swift and the performances were super. Kurt Russell was a hard ass in this movie!








#12 A League Of Their Own

This movie wouldn't even be on the list if not for two words...Tom. Hanks. He was a little down on his luck as an actor when he made this and then blew up afterwards. Good for him. This though is a really good sports movie, with some funny quotes, and good female baseball.








#11 Jerry Maguire

Cuba Gooding Jr. is so good in this movie I almost ranked it higher. The love story of it seems to be the core, but there are a ton of good lines and every one's performances are great.








#10 Raging Bull
O.k. before anyone goes crazy and wonders why this masterpiece isn't ranked higher let me explain. This isn't The Top 15 Best Sports Performances. If that were the case, De Niro's performance alone puts this movie #1, but it's not about that. Raging Bull is a great movie. Don't get me wrong.








#9 Field of Dreams

I saw this movie in the theatre with my father. This is the perfect father and son movie to go see. Great story (unbelievable) but that doesn't matter. This is a movie that if I'm flipping through channels and I fall on it, I'll stay with it till the end.








#8 Slap Shot

If their was more of the Hanson brothers in this movie (because there's not much) this would be almost #1. The Hanson Bros. are the greatest trio of characters in any movie. Ever. I love hockey and there aren't many hockey movies to begin with, so I love this movie.








#7 Hoop Dreams

If you haven't seen this movie, see it. If you have, see it again. The best documentary I've ever seen (and no it's not the only documentary I've ever seen). The story of these two kids that they follow for four years is phenomenal. The Academy Awards hosed this movie and didn't even nominate it for Best Documentary Long Form. Weak.








#6 Rocky

Forget all the sequels. I know, I know, it's hard to do, but you have to. This movie is awesome. Just awesome. Sylvester Stalone is so good and Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed is the best. This is as good of a movie as it a sports movie.









#5 Wildcats
This is the first of back-to-back Wesley Snipes movies. Wildcats was like my favorite movie when I was a kid. When I would stay the night at my father's it seemed to be on HBO, Showtime or Cinemax all the time (I didn't have those premium channels back home). I've seen this movie like 350 times easy. Does that make it a great movie? No. But, Nipsey Russell is funny as hell in it!








#4 Major League

From "Hats for bats, keep bats warm", to "Just a bit outside", to "We shoulda got a live chicken", this movie has the most quotable lines in it of all. Everybody is kick ass in this movie, especially Charlie Gammon as the Manager. I mean come on, Wild Thing, Cerrano, Dorn, Taylor, Willie Mays Hayes, hell even Bob Uecker, they are great characters. This is a great movie.








#3 Caddyshack

Not only is this a great sports movie, but, it's also one hell of a funny movie. One of the few (very few) movies that Chevy Chase is actually good in as Ty Webb. Bill Murray as the groundskeeper is classic. I heard Dangerfield was so coked up during the filming he needed help to the set and then went crazy when the camera started rolling. It's too bad this movie spawned a couple of terrible (I'm being nice) sequels. Hollywood sucks. No matter, this movie is an all-timer, a sports legend








#2 Bull Durham

Bull Durham is so good I'm gonna let the fact that Tim Robbins as "Nuke" LaLoosh couldn't throw a baseball to save his life. Well, at least not good enough to make you believe he was a fireball throwing, soon to be major leaguer. Costner as Crash Davis was the perfect roll for that cat. Susan Sarandan was so hot. Even the guy who later played Arliss was out of his mind funny. If you put this movie #1 as your favorite sports movie I would be o.k. with it. This is a legendary film.








#1 Hoosiers

Gene Hackman has been in some of the best movies ever. From The French Connection, to The Conversation, to Superman, to Mississippi Burning, to Unforgiven, to The Royal Tenenbaums, to well you get the point. Nothing he's done compares to this movie. In Hoosiers he plays Coach Norman Dale and he is the man. I can say that this movie is far and away my favorite spots movie. It's not even close. Dennis Hopper is fantastic. Barbara Hershey is fantastic. Chelcie Ross is a prick. But, the man in this movie is Maris Valainis as Jimmy. My boy Maris played one of my favorite movie characters ever when portrayed the basketball legend Jimmy. When he showed up after all the build up of how great he was and saved Hackman's coaching ass, man that was sweet. Then this little team starts beating every ones ass with Jimmy leading the way! Man what a great movie. My #1 sports movie...

No comments: