Saturday, July 11, 2009

Brian's Best 3 of the Week 7/12-7/18

1. Sports
2009 MLB
All-Star Game
July 14th on FOX


Major League Baseball's All-Star Game is the best of the all-star games in sports today. I used to love the NBA All-Star Weekend with the Slam Dunk Championship, 3Pt Shoot Out and the Rookie Game before the actual all-star game. The NFL's Pro Bowl is a joke where guys go half speed or don't show up at all. The NHL All-Star festivities are cool but I can't find the Versus Network. So that leaves MLB. I stopped watching the Homerun Derby for a couple of years until last year's Josh Hamilton (what a swing) explosion, that was fun. What I really like is that the League winner gets home field advantage in the World Series for their respective league representatives. To me this years' names aren't as sexy as years past (Raul Ibanez anybody?), but, that's alright. Times change, steroids get tested for and the big names change. Here's to Manny not being in St. Louis!









2. Cinema
Bruno


If you saw Borat then you should fully understand how truly out there Sacha Baron Cohen is. If you haven't seen Borat, let me tell you how out there Sacha Baron Cohen is. SBC is the king of character comedy and will go to no lengths to rip a laugh out of you. Now that may rub some people wrong, but, not me. Borat played on this country's pride and prejudice against foreigners. Bruno looks to me like it plays on this country's homophobia and homophobia. It's gonna be awesome. When I heard SBC was gonna make a Bruno movie I didn't think it could work though. I liked Bruno on Da Ali G Show (HBO) but I loved Ali G and Borat (all played by SBC). After the Ali G Indahouse movie and Ali G's cameo in that Madonna video I really wanted SBC to go away or at least back to HBO. Then four years later he kicks us in the package with Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan and SBC is back! But, Sasha Baron Cohen is now famous, which leads me back to my original point, would Bruno work? One thing Baron Cohen did was change Bruno's look from the original on Da Ali G Show (this version of Bruno is even gayer!) and targeted backwoods people who probably didn't see Borat. By looking (and laughing) at the trailers for this movie I take it back, Bruno will work and I can't wait to urinate myself.







3. Hobby
The World's Fastest
Remote-Control
Car by Nic Case


After a terrible motorcycle accident, Nic Case needed a new hobby, he found one in the building the world's fastest remote-control car. Nic's "Pocket Rocket" travels at a mind numbing 161 miles per hour (nearly 30 mph faster than than the previous world record). At $4,000.00 (yikes!) Nic seems to have built the world's most expensive toy. Built with a handcrafted carbon-fiber chassis, that was designed to aerodynamically keep this little beast on the ground, and reinforced foam underbelly to protect the all-wheel-drive (cool). Nic also used an 11-horsepower R/C motor and a 12-cell battery pack normally used in hobby airplanes. The car has no brakes (huh?), so Case dials back the power to the motors to decelerate. To prevent flipping, he added a gyroscope-based steering-correction system more commonly used in remote-control helicopters. No wonder this thing can fly, Nic used remote-control helicopter and airplane parts. Nic has only actually raced the car twice and he still thinks it can reach his ultimate goal...200 mph (double yikes!).

No comments: