Sunday, June 28, 2009

Observations at the Ballpark with Bella

I took my soon to be four-year-old daughter Bella to the Wichita Wingnuts Independent League baseball game vs. the St. Paul Saints this evening. It was a beautiful day at the yard and I must say I enjoyed myself very much. What was probably the best part of the game was some of her observations of the game and everything else she found interesting. "Daddy I think this basketball game is gonna be awesome!" As we were walking across the parking lot to Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. "Daddy when we get inside I'll show you where the candy your gonna get is. Wouldn't that be nice?" Yes the bag of cotton candy that doesn't come with a stick to hold it so it all gets on your fingers, turns them colors and gives you Spider Man-like grip is nice. "Daddy this game is taking forever!" She says in the middle of the second inning. "Daddy I think I'm allergic to peanuts...Can I get some peanuts daddy?" I really didn't know what to say to that one. "Hey daddy look at that man. He's a lot bigger than you." I proceeded to apologise for my daughter's remark to the man in line for a soda. "Daddy you're not having fun because you aren't clapping like all of these people are you daddy. You should clap daddy." She says while I'm holding my 4$ drink, her 3$ drink, her 3$ cotton candy, her 3$ popcorn and her flip-flops she refuses to wear at the moment. "Daddy theres that big man with a big belly again daddy. Say hi!" F**k me. "Daddy this popcorn make me bursty and I drank all my drank. Can I have some of your drank?" Sure honey. "Daddy I just spilled the rest of your drank. Sorry daddy. Mom says you can't get mad at me. Can I get a snow cone?" Sure honey. "Daddy do you have money?" What do think I've been spending since we got here? "Daddy if you have money I wanna jump in the bouncy. Right over there daddy." Sure honey. You can jump on the we're-gonna-miss-the-whole-fifth-inning-and-half-of-the-sixth-bouncy! "Daddy I'm ready to go home." Well why wouldn't you sweetie, it's the seventh inning and you've consumed two pops, one cotton candy, one popcorn, one snow cone, half of my fries, half of my pop before you spilled the rest and then jumped in an inflatable bouncy in ninety-one degree heat while little boys wondered why that girl is wearing Spider Man underwear under her dress. "Daddy when I grow up I wanna be a basketball player daddy" As we walk across the Lawrence-Dumont parking lot to our car. "Oh daddy I love you so much. You're so silly daddy." I love you too Bella Boo...

No comments: