Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why THE HANGOVER Is the Most Kick Ass Movie Ever Made


Ahhh, it's summer time and I don't know about you but when this time of year rolls around all I wanna do is grab a bucket of popcorn, a liter of cola, maybe some Mike and Ikes and watch sh!t get blowed up baby!!! That's right, it's time to go down to your local movie theatre and watch this years summer movie goodness. Due to my weight problem I don't actually like summer time. I tend to sweat, a lot, and because of that I have no problem being in a dark room with THX sound, a gigantic digitally projected picture and a bunch of strangers for a couple of hours. Now usually in the summer I need to see as much cool stuff on screen as I can and this year there has and will be plenty. So far I've seen Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, Night at the Museum Battle at the Smithsonian and Up. Not bad. But, it gets even better with the likes of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, G.I. Joe the Rise of Cobra, Public Enemies and Funny People yet to come. So this summer's line up of blockbusters looks to big pretty sturdy. But, I'm here to tell you, as much as I wanna see Megan Fox run around with a bunch robots or enjoy watching Johnny Depp rob banks, nothing will compete with the movie I just saw this past weekend. Not even close. THE HANGOVER, directed by Todd Phillips, best know for the awesomeness that was Old School, is the maybe the funniest movie ever (sorry Borat). If Swingers and Very Bad Things got together and made sexytime, then nine months later welcomed a baby into this world, that very funny baby would be THE HANGOVER. Wow! Where do I begin? First things first, I wanna be Bradley Cooper (the dick from Wedding Crashers) more than anyone on the planet. I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind either. This guy is the coolest s.o.b. ever. Anyway, the storyline is pretty simple, Doug (Justin Bartha) is about to get married so him and his two best buddies Phil (Cooper) and Stu (Ed helms from The Office) and his soon to be brother-in-law Alan (Zach Galifianakis) take a trip to Vegas on a Friday evening for a little harmless bachelor party fun. They show up, get an out of this world suite and toast the night away on the roof of their luxury hotel. Fast forward to the next morning and that $4,200.00 a nite suite on Stu's credit card is torn to sh!t and Doug, the groom, is nowhere to be found. Now I'm not going to go into all the outlandish stuff that Phil, Stu and Alan go thrue the rest of the weekend trying to remember what happened the night before and also trying to find Doug before his Sunday wedding. Let's just say they find a baby (name it Carlos), marry a stripper, battle a tiger, hang with Mike Tyson, get tasered, kidnap a naked sexually flexible Asian mobster, play blackjack Rain Man style, etc. and still can't find Doug. I hope I'm not giving anything away, trust me I'm only scratching the surface. Phillips has crafted a truly spectacular movie. The studio execs were so impressed during filming that they signed on to do a sequel before he even finished this thing up, if that tells you anything. Go see this movie, please, you won't regret it. I'm looking forward to all the other movies left to go this summer but I'm guessing this one will have the most lasting effect on me long term. Or until they f#ck up the sequel...

No comments: